Friday, June 02, 2006

A Hard Day's Night

By Josh Lamkin
A Hard Day's NightLast night we saw A Hard Day's Night. It was playing at an outdoor movie series at Piedmont Park in Atlanta. Before the movie a Beatles tribute band called The Return played. They dressed like the Beatles, moved like them, and even faked the Liverpool accents fairly successfully. It's was kitschy but cool. Why, though, do Beatles tribute bands never dress like all psychodelic or geek chic? Wouldn't it be cool to be like, "Oh there's a band. I wonder what it is." Then they start playing and you're like all surprised because maybe you thought they were going to be a Country Joe And The Fish cover band or whatever. That'd be cool I think.

Anyway, A Hard Day's Night was awesome. It's easily one of my favorite movies, so funny, so happy. One time I watched A Hard Day's Night at a brew-n-view type movie theater in Asheville, NC, where you can eat pizza and drink beer while you watch the movie. They call your name out when your pizza is ready, and I convinced the guy to yell out, instead of my name, "Hey Mister, can we have our ball back!?" He did it really loud and that part had just passed in the movie. It was like the coolest thing that ever happened to me in Asheville.

I noticed this time watching the movie, and was a little surprised, that George gets so many of the best lines: [Looking at a weird piece of modern art] "You don't see many of these any more." And the songs are just perfect. Standout songs in the movie are "Should Have Known Better" "Tell Me Why" "Can't Buy Me Love" and "If I Fell." God I love those songs.

It's just impossible to feel anything other than almost giddy while watching A Hard Day's Night and the vibe in the audience totally reflected that. People were super cool to each other. Everyone laughed at all the cheeky British humor. And best of all, everyone clapped and cheered after every song. That was awesome.

It was even supposed to rain, and dark clouds seemed to surround us all night with lightening flashing so close that sometimes it made the speakers crackle. But it never rained until right when the movie ended. A Hard Day's Night is magic. I'm convinced.

3 Comments:

Blogger d-mac said...

I'd never seen it either until last night, but I thought it was great. I think Lamkini and I were laughing at more of the "cheeky" british humour than most of the people around us though.

My favorite George Harrison line was during a montage of scenes where journalists are interviewing the band and asking the same silly questions over and over:

Journalist: What do you call your new hair do?
George: I call it Arthur.

6:49 PM, June 02, 2006  
Blogger newwavegurly said...

Damnit, another Beatles movie reference. That's it, I need to see these films.

Of course, it would be even cooler to see them the way you guys saw it, but I guess I'll just have to make do.

8:13 AM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Crap- I've totally only seen the commercial for the movie while watching some other Beatlemania newscast movie thingy... Dude, that is weak, I better get my ars to a drive-in STAT and see what all this magic is all about!!

11:08 AM, June 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home