Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Tuesday, Social Mariposa...

By d-mac
Heaps going on this week in the ATL...

Tuesday, May 2nd
Clem Snide @ The EARL

Don't know if I'm going to be able to make this one tonight, but I've heard good things about this alt-country indie rock band out of Brooklyn and I'm curious.



Wednesday, May 3rd
They Might Be Giants @ Variety Playhouse

Way stoked about this one. This will be my first time seeing TMBG. From what everyone and their mother has told me, they put on a show that's so good even Lamkini would have to give a good review.

Check out this video that Strong Sad and The Cheat from homestarrunner.com made for TMBG's "Experimental Film" (I already know the ending, it's the part that makes your face implode).



Thursday, May 4th
Gomez @ Variety Playhouse
(supporting their new album, How We Operate which "drops" today!!)

I got to see these guys at Variety a couple years back and it was an amazing show. Love what I've heard from the new album so far and looking forward to checking out the rest.



Friday, May 5th
Luigi @ The EARL
Benefit show for Twinhead Theatre w/ My Siamese Self & The Partisan

Very rocking local band, fronted by Michelle DuBois, formerly of Ultrababyfat. Have a listen to these songs from their website:

Luigi - Mariposa
Luigi - Wash it Down
Luigi - Squeeze
Luigi - Today

Now go buy their album immediately, if not sooner.



Saturday, May 6th
Vienna Teng @ Smith's Olde Bar

When we saw her open for Marc Cohn last year, she told a story about how she quit her job as a software engineer to pursue her music career. She said something how it was getting difficult to draw musical inspiration from use case diagrams and code reviews and the like, so she eventually had to bail. I think I was one of two people in the audience who could relate.

Listen to the mp3s on her website.
Buy her latest album, Warm Strangers.


This post isn't all that funny? Yeah, well YOU'RE not all that funny!

6 Comments:

Blogger An Urban Femme said...

I really, really like Clem Snide. Wish more people came to Rottenchester.

Le sigh.

11:01 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger d-mac said...

Hey Sophie, the new Gomez album fracking rocks. Really, really dig the track "See the World" that you posted about a while back (in your former blog life). Have lots to say about these guys when I find some time to write. Stay tuned...

2:40 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger newwavegurly said...

I really, really don't like Vienna Teng. Her voice bugs me.

I really, really like Gomez, saw them in concert a couple of years ago, and hope to see them again some time this year.

And I will be heading up there to see Imogen Heap in a couple of weeks.

8:39 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger AJ said...

Dude,

Gomez was well worth being up past my bed time. You gonna write a review? I think I will, too. Sounds like those guys are refocused and ready to beat Coldplay's fracking ass!

7:51 AM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger newwavegurly said...

Update:
I'm NOT coming up there to see Imogen Heap. My friend waited to long to get tickets, and the show's sold out.

*pout*

8:16 PM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger d-mac said...

Bummer, NWG. I'm a little bit surprised Imogen Heap sold out the Variety so quickly.

3:22 PM, May 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home