Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Not A Role Model

By d-mac
I heard this badass Violent Femmes cover earlier today on KEXP and thought I'd share.

Gnarls Barkley - Gone Daddy Gone (click the track in the myspace player)

Who is Gnarls Barkley you ask?

Well, the GB website spins quite a yarn on this mysterious personage:

...Clinton Jacks works as a cook in a Waffle House restaurant near the South Carolina coast. “One night back in the year 2000,” he recollects, “I saw Danger Mouse come in here. Cee-Lo was with him. And they had this other dude with them, dressed up like H.R. Pufnstuf. Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo ate big meals, but H.R. Pufnstuf only wanted hash browns. Then they left, Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo, but H.R. Pufnstuf stayed around for hours. He must’ve had twenty cups of coffee. I went in the bathroom, and when I came out, he was gone. But he left a $500 tip on the table. And he left a little note that said, ‘Compliments to the chef. Gnarls Barkley.’”...

From what I can gather from other sources, GB is the combined alter-ego of hip-hop magnate (and Atlanta native) Cee-Lo Green and Brian Burton a.k.a. DJ Danger Mouse, who was nominated for a Grammy for producing the second Gorillaz album, Demon Days.

The Femmes cover is part of their new album, St. Elsewhere, scheduled to be released in the US on May 9th. You can pre-order it on Amazon.

Listen to more on the official website or the myspace page.

2 Comments:

Blogger newwavegurly said...

I'm always interested in a hearing a good cover song, especially when it's a song that I liked in its original form. Thanks for the info.

5:43 AM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger newwavegurly said...

(Damnit, I hate it when I have a typo in my comments!)

5:44 AM, April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home